Southeast Indiana is area full of potential, for economic growth and for producing the finest workers in the nation and some of the best careers. WorkOne Southeast has provided some links to resources that will help young people find their career niche and also provide some excellent information on a wide variety of subjects of interest local youths. You are the WorkForce Heroes of the future and will help keep our area competitive in the 21st century economy.
JAG, is a school-to-career program implemented to keep young people in school through graduation and provide work-based learning experiences that will lead to career advancement.
Click Here to learn more information about the WorkOne Southeast JAG Program
Economic Opportunities for 2015 is a career research and exploration program that allows students and youths to seek out careers that fit their personalities and preferences.
The goal of Dream It,. Do It!. Southeast Indiana is to make this region of the Hoosier State the best place in the world for manufacturing and a major player in the global economy. The Dream It, Do It! Site includes career toolkits and career calculators to help students and youths find just the right career path.
Has a wide variety of programs and initiatives that are aimed at helping young people and their parents discover career paths and assist them in achieving those goals through grant and scholarship programs. Feel free to browse through the links provided below to find a career and see if you qualify for WIA Youth assistance
- IDWD - Youth Services Website
- Life Skills Assessment for Youth
- Test Drive Careers (Career Exploration)
- Trip to College(A Step-by-Step Guide)
- WIA Youth Q & A about the Common Measures
- Employment and Disability, Youth
- Indiana Independent Living Initiative (Chafee Foster Care)
- Job Corps
- National Youth Employment Coalition
- Community Partnership with Youth
- Youth Today, Youth Work Newspaper
- Hoosier Hot 50 Jobs
- Indiana Youth Institute fundraising and grants
Youth Workforce Services
Below is a selection of links to assist Hoosier youth in finding out more about education, career opportunities and life choices in Indiana.
About WorkOne Southeast’s WIA Youth program
The program is designed to assist disadvantaged or at-risk youth (between the ages of 14 and 24) in overcoming barriers that may prevent them from finishing high school, gaining occupational skills or obtaining employment. (Please contact your local WorkOne center for eligibility details).
Participating youth will complete an assessment process which will identify assets or deficiencies in the areas of: basic skills, occupational skills, work experience, employability, interests, aptitudes, developmental/soft skills and supportive services. In short, this assessment will determine what services each youth participant will need in order to be successful in the program.
The youth program offers the following customizable services.
(Youth may not need all ten.)
- Tutoring, study skills training, and instruction leading to secondary school completion, including dropout prevention strategies.
- Alternative secondary school offerings.
- Summer employment opportunities directly linked to academic and occupational learning.
- Paid and unpaid work experiences, including internships and job shadowing.
- Occupational skills training.
- Leadership development.
- Adult mentoring.
- Comprehensive guidance and counseling.
- Supportive services.
- Follow up services.
Program eligibility is based on household income. A youth may be eligible if he/she receives free school lunch or if his/her household receives public assistance, i.e. Food Stamps or TANF. The WorkOne staff will verify household income to determine if a youth is eligible for the program.