FAQ's About WorkOne and Unemployment

Is my information kept confidential?

All information provided to WorkOne for the purposes of participating in programs is maintained confidential within the WorkOne system and its partner agencies.

Are extended benefits available?

Filing a claim for extended benefits is not available at this time. If you have any questions about extended benefits, please contact your WorkOne Center.

Can I bring a friend with me?

You can bring a friend if he or she also is interested in services at the WorkOne Center.

Can WorkOne help me find full-time employment?

You are eligible for full-time employment, your WorkOne Center has a great employment system available to you and, moreover, WorkOne connects with individual agencies that assist youth with training as well as placement.

Can WorkOne help me get training?

The WorkOne Center can assist with a variety of training if you qualify for services.

Can WorkOne help train my employees?

WorkOne is your resource for employee training, whether it's basic workplace skills, English literacy, or a customized package of specialized training. Working with numerous education partners, including local schools and colleges, we can provide a wide variety of courses and certifications. For more details, click to the Employer Services section on Education and Training.

Do I need parental consent to participate?

Youth ages 14 to 17 years needs parental consent if you are going to participate in a Workforce Investment Act (WIA) youth service. However, if you are age 18 or older, you can walk-in and receive WorkOne services.

How do I apply for childcare?

Childcare services may be available through various WorkOne partners, depending upon the county in which you live. Contact your local WorkOne Southeast Center for information.

How do I apply for unemployment benefits?

To apply for unemployment benefits, go to the Uplink service of the Indiana Department of Workforce Development. If you don't have Internet access, go to your nearest full-service WorkOne Career Center as soon as you become unemployed. You will be required to report your last employer's name, mailing address, phone number and dates of employment as well as your address, Social Security number and phone number.

To apply for unemployment benefits in person, go to your nearest Southeast Indiana WorkOne Center as soon as you become unemployed. Please bring some form of identification that includes your Social Security number. You will be required to report the name of your last employer, mailing address and phone number, as well as your own contact data, including address and phone number.

How do I enroll into the WorkOne orientation program?

WorkOne orientation is open at no charge to anyone interested in learning about WorkOne programs and services. During orientation you will receive information about what the WorkOne partner agencies provide and how to get involved in programs. There is no obligation to participate in any program by attending the orientation. Contact your nearest WorkOne Northwest Indiana office to learn starting times for orientation sessions.